Sooooo I always try to bake healthy alternatives to delicious treats. I try to be a very healthy person, but like most people I have a minor sweet tooth I cannot ignore. I kinda created this recipe using a few different cookie recipes and this is what happened: A delicious light fluffy healthy oatmeal coconut trail mix cookie made with coconut oil instead of butter.
For the cookies:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut *sweet or unsweet*
- 1/2 cup of chocolate trail mix * I used a chocolate/cranberry/nut mix*
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet parchment.
- Mix together soft or melted coconut oil, sugar and egg.
- In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients.
- Add wet mix to dry mix and stir JUST until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
- Roll dough into a log and wrap in plastic wrap. Please in freezer until chilled or frozen and bake at a later date.
- Slice roll into 1/2 inch slices. Slice and bake 1, 2 or all cookies. Dough can keep well in freezer for a month or more if well wrapped. This is perfect for people who just want to bake 2 or so cookies *So you aren’t tempted to eat the entire batch…also this dough is great on its own unbaked…. * 🙂
- Bake cookies at 400 for 8-10 minutes or until they are set and very lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack to cool, and enjoy with a big glass of milk! Cookies should be stored in air tight container and are best within a day or two.