I make a lot of kale salads, and am always looking for different variations. Tonight I tried something completely new, and it worked. (and the man liked it = bonus points)
I found this recipe By Jennifer Segal of Once Upon A Chef and liked the idea of the roasted chick peas…so I adapted the recipe and made it my own. I found out it was extra good the next day when the kale had a chance to absorb all the lovely lemon flavors.
Disclaimer: Keep in mind I don’t really measure when I cook… so there is gonna be drizzles and sprinkles and handfuls… You could say I like to fly by the seat of my pants….but in my case it’s more like hem of my dress.
For the Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper
For the Salad
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 TB of olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste…
- Kale ( to fill your bowl ( Rinsed and chopped
- Shaved or grated fresh Parmesan ( as much or as little as you like.. I LOVE cheese)
- Handful of dried cherries or cranberries
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10-20 minutes, tossing, until the chickpeas are slightly shrunken and crispy. Let cool. (Mine took about 30 minutes)
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the kale and toss until evenly coated. Taste and adjust salt/pepper/lemon juice to taste.
- Now top with all your tasty toppings, for mine I add the dried cranberries, parmesan shavings and cherry tomatoes!